Saturday, May 17, 2008

Leaving Lugano for Lucerne

This morning I was in a good mood, so I wore my happy Carebear tee and had a warm cup noodle breakfast...

...and spent the next few hours shivering on the coach, staring out at the rain-soaked landscape.

We drove on the endless highway out of Italy, spotting many signs pointing to Milan.

Photobucket


Two cold rest stops later, we passed Lake Como, with its hillsides densely populated with houses but currently obscured by mist.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Then we crossed the Italian border (and out of the European Union) into Switzerland.

But the rain still refused to let up, even when we reached Lugano.

Photobucket

Photobucket



In the end, we got off in central Lugano and splashed our way down its familiar streets full of high-end shops.

Photobucket


The weather was particularly annoying because, if you recall, it was also raining the last time I was in Lugano!

We had slightly less than 1.5 hours in the city. However, most of my time was spent buying and gobbling down my lunch of fusili pomodoro and a huge bowl of salad.

With half an hour left, I ran down the streets in search of H&M, with only my cap to shield me from the rain. Eventually I reached a crossroads, checked that our meeting point was just beyond it, then quickly made my way through another street...where I thankfully found the store.

Twenty minutes later I burst out of the store again with my shopping bag, having spent a record short time in the dressing room.

I had about three minutes to get back to the coach, so I dodged all the umbrellas in my way and dashed through the rain and puddles to arrive at the meeting point with a minute to spare - though many other tour members were late.

Photobucket


Thus ended yet another speed-shopping spree for me, and we began our drive to Lucerne.